Im not aware Im dissociating

General discussion of Depersonalization/Derealization
suez62

Im not aware Im dissociating

Post by suez62 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:14 am

Is anyone in the same boat?

It was pointed out to me 20 years ago that I have been dissociating all my life. Only sometimes do I realize when Ive been doing it, usually because a counsellor or friend notices it and asks me if Im alright or a question I cant answer due to inattention. So I look back on what I was doing and I can then realize. Do other dissociaters also find this to be the case?

I was told that I would be going into my own world due to stress but I don't think it's always the case. Ever since I was tiny I have enjoyed the other world that I can fade into. I think Im quite comfortable and happy to dissociate. When Im in that world I don't know what Im thinking. Sometimes I suspect Im not thinking about anything. Even when Im 'all present' I often find I just go blank.

When I am feeling particularly stressed from nightmares or a build up of pressures I find I kind of dissociate by self torture. Does anyone else find this? It's not self harm but something else again that gives me a dose of feel-good chemicals into my system, and I feel ok again.

I see that there are only a few members here but Id like some comments.

suez62

admin
Site Admin

Re: Im not aware Im dissociating

Post by admin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Hello, I have moved your topic from treatments to discussion. Please help us stay organized by posting in the relative categories.

joseph

Re: Im not aware Im dissociating

Post by joseph » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Dissociation after all is generally a response to a stressful environment whether chronic or acute. When we dissociate, our brains are protecting ourselves from the negative stimuli and take us out of there as you put it "Into your own world"

Although its not necessarily torture and a bad thing, I ask myself and you should too, would you rather be dissociated or live in the present and find out the source for why you tend to dissociate.

Welcome to the boards!