INITIATIVE FOR DEPERSONALIZATION STUDIES (IDS)

The Initiative for Depersonalization Studies (IDS) is 501c3 nonprofit corporation devoted to increasing awareness of Depersonalization Disorder through the sponsoring of support groups, conferences  and expanded media presence.

What is depersonalization?

Depersonalization is the third most common psychiatric symptom, and it can also be a chronic  disorder affecting more people than schizophrenia and bi-polar disorders combined.  Amazingly,  few health professionals know anything about it or how it should be treated. We are here to change that once and for all.  Please join us in our educational efforts through the sponsoring of support groups, conferences and new research.

When your world seems strange and you've lost your sense of self, you'll be hard pressed finding a name for your affliction. But there is one "Depersonalization Disorder", and it's nothing new...

adult-asphalt-cold-2422896-min

Who are we?

Welcome to the Initiative for Depersonalization Research (IDS) home page. IDS is a non-profit 501(c) corporation dedicated to ongoing education about Depersonalization/Derealization Disorder (DDD) as well as increased awareness of DDD through mass media, social media, and regularly scheduled support groups. Our goal is to provide a seamless venue through which information and publicity efforts throughout the world may be shared. IDS is open to all, and future educational conferences will be open to health professionals and the general public.  Updates about new or ongoing research, clinical trials, and relevant events are welcome in our FORUM.  Feel free to explore the site and contribute as it grows.  Donations are now accepted via the Paypal link above, as well as our Gofundme page, listed under Depersonalization Studies.

What We do

The Initiative for Depersonalization Studies is a 501c3 non-profit
corporation dedicated to increasing awareness of
Depersonalization-Derealization Disorder (DDD) worldwide. In the
future, through grants and crowd-funding venues, we hope to host
educational conventions for medical professionals, students and
patients alike. 

Connection

IDS produces free educational literature in many languages and sponsors Support Groups in major cities throughout the United States.

Communication

IDS  maintains a social media presence through its Facebook discussion group.

Development

In the future, through grants and crowd-funding venues, we hope to host educational conventions in major cities. 

Stories and Experiences

Terry

I’ve experienced Derealization since I was a kid – back then it didn’t cause me a great deal of panic, I didn’t worry about it

Read More »

Katie 2

I came across this site on accident, but I am so glad I did!  For over ten years, I thought I was the only one in

Read More »

Flatbag

It started when was about 15. I’m not sure if smoking pot has anything to do with it. I don’t understand why it’s happening and I

Read More »

Cone

Well, I guess to start off this completely f***d up story of my life living with DP. My name is Cone, well everyone and their

Read More »

Tina

My name is Tina I’m 26 years old and live in Ma. I starting experimenting with drugs at the age of 11. It was just weed at

Read More »

Tell

I would like to begin by asking this simple question: Can smoking weed ONCE and getting high ONCE ruin the rest of a person’s life?The nightmare

Read More »
Our Board
jeffabu

Jeffrey Abugel

IDS founder Jeffrey Abugel is the author, with Daphne Simeon, MD, of Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self,  Oxford University Press (2006), and Stranger To My Self (2010). He is currently a Health & Wellness Coach certified by Georgetown University. 

http://www.jeffreyabugel.com

Elena Bezzubova Phd

Elena Bezzubova received her M.D. summa cum laude and Ph.D. with a dissertation on depersonalization in Russia and completed her training in psychoanalysis in the U.S. Her 30 years of clinical, teaching, and research experience includes inpatient and outpatient adolescents and adults, encompassing a broad range of mental health issues.

Bill - newsletter pic

BILL WILSON

Bill has practiced law for more than 37 years in the Chicago area with Wilson and Wilson Estate Planning and Elder Law, LLC, concentrating in the areas of Elder Law, Estate Planning,  and Estate Planning for families that have children with disabilities. He has a profound interest in DP/DR, having lived with the disorder for over 40 years.